We bring together design and policy expertise to create the urban conditions that enable all people to thrive.
Our aspirations for cities are founded on the values of:
- Justice – ensuring every project contributes to a more equitable society
- Rigour – delivering independent, evidence-based and tailored solutions on each project
- Imagination – re-framing and resolving challenges through creative thinking
- Receptivity – listening and engaging with different people’s perspectives and focusing on the specific qualities of places
- Curiosity – embedding learning and research into each of our projects to progress a contemporary understanding of how cities work
- Pragmatism – maintaining a grounded perspective to deliver effective and realistic outcomes that can be implemented
Our process is centred on the synthesis of technical analysis and conceptual thinking into simple and compelling place-based strategies, design proposals and policy solutions.
We work across multiple sectors and continue to explore new methods of addressing accelerating urban pressures while enhancing the valued qualities in our cities.
We are a dedicated interdisciplinary team, who bring together expertise in urban design, strategic planning and social research.
Our core team provides continuity of expertise across our portfolio of work:
Leanne Hodyl is the Managing Director and founder of Hodyl + Co. Leanne has significant experience in leading urban policy and design projects critical to the future development of our cities.
Bec Fitzgerald is a Senior Urban Designer passionate about creating sustainable, creative and affordable cities that support people of all different backgrounds.
Rachel Maguire is a Social Researcher who specialises in housing and urban policy that delivers inclusive and equitable cities. Rachel leads our social research program which informs all of our project work.
Huei-Han Yang is an Urban Designer with international experience in designing for high-density, mixed-use environments. Huei-Han's work is central to the design development and communication of our projects.
We regularly collaborate with other designers, planners and researchers both nationally and internationally to provide teams that are tailored to the needs of each project.
Creating a positive social impact is central to our practice. We do this by:
- Embedding the creation of a more equitable and inclusive society into all of our project recommendations.
- Supporting creative industries by committing 5% of our profits to emerging Australian artists.
- Contributing to a sustainable environment through the purchase of 100% renewable energy.
- Yearly donations to charities as chosen by each team member. To date this has included Homes for Homes, Indigenous Literacy Foundation, Asylum Resource Centre and Children's Ground.
We are currently awaiting B Corp registration.
We work with the public and private sector. Our clients include:
- City of Melbourne
- City of Darebin
- City of Glen Eira
- City of Greater Geelong
- City of Moreland
- City of Moonee Valley
- City of Yarra
- Court Services Victoria
- Creative Victoria
- Department of Land, Environment, Water and Planning
- Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions
- Fishermans Bend Taskforce
- Harwood Andrews
- Housing Choices Australia
- Impact Investment Group
- Perri Projects
- Revitalising Central Geelong Partnership
Hodyl + Co work from Alcaston House, a building that fits perfectly with our approach to city-shaping. Built in 1929 as one of Melbourne’s first, purpose-designed mixed-use buildings, it is now a recognised heritage landmark that accommodates a diverse community of people. We share our studio with other city-shaping thinkers and our building with dentists, architects, graphic designers, investors, publishers and residents.